Thursday, July 03, 2008

My family's favorite...SOUP!

Zuppa Toscano

My family LOVES this easy soup.

1 lb. Italian Sausage (I use ground sausage)(I add more to make the recipe more hearty)

4 large Russet Baking Potatoes sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices (sometimes more for heartiness)

1 large Onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic minced

Frozen chopped spinach

2 cans Chicken Broth

1 can beef broth (for richness)

1 qt. more/less Water

1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

flour

Cook sausage in a 300-degree oven. Bake approximately 1/2 hour, drain on paper towels, and cut into slices.(I just cook my ground sausage in a pan, then drain.) Place onion, potatoes, broth, water, and garlic in pot, and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done. Add sausage, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add flour/milk mixture to thicken soup up.

Turn to low heat, add spinach and cream. Heat through and serve.

No comments: