Monday, August 25, 2008

My favorite movie of all time

Red Dawn is my all-time favorite movie. I have no idea when I FIRST saw it, but I know I have seen it MANY times since then.

Somehow while watching this movie I identified with many of the characters and it helped make the Cold War more of a reality to me (albeit in a chilling way). For me, that movie helped me grow up and realize that the World was bigger than just our country. I knew it was a fantasy movie but it also got mes thinking, “What if that happened? Could/would I do that?”

It is also a movie about teenagers, the Wolverines, not being able to rely on adults. And even though this movie does not have the greatest acting or script I somehow can't resist watching it and crying through it, whenever it is on. I also own a DVD copy for melancholy times.

This scene when the Dad says, "Boys! Avenge kills me.

And when Daryl is shot for his traitorous ways also gets me.

In fact I cry all the way to the end when Matt and Jed are on the swings dying.

Although most of the Wolverines are killed, a voice-over appears at the end of the movie by Erica, one of the two survivors, showing a World War III memorial. The American flag flying above it implies the United States had - eventually - won the war.

The exact quote framing "Partisan Rock" is:

"I never saw the brothers again. In time, this war, like every other war, ended. But I never forgot, and I come to this place often, when no one else does."

"In the early days of World War 3, guerrillas, mostly children, placed the names of their lost upon this rock. They fought here alone; and gave up their lives, so that this nation shall not perish from the earth."

No comments: